As someone who loves to make things Christmas is a great opportunity to get stuck in with loads of different projects. But apart from the obligatory Christmas Eve craft meltdown (when I realise there is less than 24 hours to sew, bake and craft all the remaining presents) I find the hardest part is deciding what to make for everyone. So after trawling the net for inspiration I thought I’d share my pick of presents to make. Todays post focuses on ideas for the adults in your life – it’s a broad scope for sure so I hope you’ll find something to inspire you so with 22 days and counting till Christmas Day here goes…
1. Kimono – With this Burda Style pattern the hardest part of this should be choosing the fabric and as a sewer I think that makes this a pretty enjoyable make! If you aren’t so confident working with silk then try a soft poly cotton so it will drape nicely but will be easier to sew up.
2. Kindle case – Hollowing out a cool vintage book to create a unique kindle case – who wouldn’t love to receive this?! If you don’t have a kindle to hand just grab the dimensions from the web.
3. Tote bag – This tote bag pattern and tutorial from the Noodle Head blog creates a bag that people will actually want to take out and use. With these personalisation is the key – choose favorite colours/patterns of the person you are sewing this for.
4. Luggage tags – Everyone seems to own a black suitcase but with these tags you can guarantee that your friends and family won’t be taking someone else’s dirty laundry home! These would make a lovely present for a newly wed couple too.
6. Camera straps – Give someone a camera strap with character by using fabric paint on cotton webbing, simple but the overall effect looks pretty cool.
8. Biscuit box – Forget the obligatory biscuit selection tin and bake some really yummy biscuits instead! Some of these recipes produce a high yield so they would be perfect to make a few different presents.
9. Clutch bag – This awesome leather and fabric clutch bag tutorial by A Beautiful Mess is quick and would be great for the party loving ladies in your life.
10. Ottoman – Apart from the obvious wrapping headache this might produce I can’t think of a better gift for a stylish house proud friend or family member. Use a neutral fabric with bright contrasting thread for a contemporary look.
12. Fabric tie – This is most definitely a unisex project from The Purl Bee but if you are stuck for a present for a man then this might well be the solution. Using a Liberty prints would really make it a unique and special gift.
13. Photo transferred onto wood – This is a lovely personal gift and with so many photos on your phone, camera and computer you could even put together a montage of photographs or experiment with different types of wood.
14. Special Tea bags – Create a special blend of loose leaf tea and then make custom tea bags with this A Beautiful Mess tutorial. Oh and incase you are thinking – hey tea isn’t really a gift – well in Britian it jolly well is!
15. Oven Mitts – For those who love to cook personal oven mitts would be ace. This post links a great adults pattern which includes the use of Insul Bright (a special insulated wadding) which you can purchase from Barn Yarns.
16. Cycling cap – This Little Package cycling cap pattern will fit perfectly thanks to it’s 4 panel construction and would look great on the heads of any cycling friends and family *Reminder* these are printed patterns so order now to make sure you have plenty of time to get making!
I hope that’s fueled the fire of your Christmas making, we’ll add more ideas to our Pinterest boards in the coming weeks so do go and check those out. Oh and sit tight for our next Christmas present sewing and crafting installment – it’ll be ideas for the sewers and crafters in your life!